Big Island Smoked Pork (smoked meat)
- Pork Butt, 5 lbs. or more, preferably boneless (easier to cut into steaks)
- Hawaiian Salt (rock salt)
- Shoyu (use your favorite brand), 3 cups
- Sugar, 1-2 cups
- Fresh Ginger, 1 large finger, minced
- Fresh Garlic, 5 large cloves, minced
- Hawaiian Chili Pepper, 3 pieces, minced
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a pot on the stove heated to medium. Add the sugar gradually and adjust to how sweet you want it. Make the shoyu/sugar ratio between 1:1 and 2:1; the latter being less sweet. Up to you. You can also adjust the Chili Pepper heat to your own liking, too. Again use your taste buds for best judgement!
After the marinade ingredients are well incorporated and you’re happy with the flavor, put it in the refrigerator to cool down.